Friday, December 2, 2016

Smoked off Curls!



I ALMOST LOST ALL OF MY HAIR!

In efforts to look Holiday ready to see the family in Maine, I decided to make an appointment to get my hair trimmed and colored. I have never had an all over professional color before, so it was a new experience for me. Needless to say, I was really excited.

I went to a salon that utilizes Aveda products (mostly plant based and cruelty free).

Sitting in the chair, my hairstylist was pawing through my combed out locks. She asked me: "what are we doing today?"We agreed upon an all over color with a honey undertone to warm up my skin. I kept chit-chatting a bit about my hair while her fingers proceeded to comb through my hair. BOY O BOY am I glad I did!

I told her: "I have these hideous red undertones currently showing through because I used Henna hair coloring before this and it faded out strangely". She stopped me before I could continue my sentence and said: "You used henna before?" Thinking nothing of it, I smiled and nodded. She immediately consulted the stylist at the station right next to us. The result was, we needed to conduct a "test" strand because the chemical mix in the avid hair coloring could counteract with the make-up of rock-salts in henna resulting in my hair smoking and frying off my head! WHAHHHT-THA-FAHHHHHKKK!?

As my stylist was booked up and had no time for a test strand that day, we decided on a semi permanent hair color which will last 6 weeks. I was assured I would walk out with my full head of hair as the semi permanent doesn't have any restrictions with henna.

HOLY COW, I dodged a bullet big time. I'm so glad I mentioned my using henna. If I hadn't, we would have proceeded right into my hair color and, well...the above photo would have been drastically different. The Holidays would have been a bit chillier and my family would have most likely not recognized the new-improved ME!

Note to everyone out there: Tell your stylist if you have used henna recently!

I'm now adding my head of hair to my "Thankful List" this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment