Wednesday, January 30, 2019

A Vegan Cake that will make you Quake

I never have been much of a baker. Smashing baked goods, yeah, 
that was more my speed. 
UNTIL….

Hosts of The Great British Baking Show

The Great British Baking Show

Food fascinated, yes.
Cooking crazed, certainly.
Eating entertained, always.

One day about 4 months ago, I was scrolling through Netflix and stumbled upon a couple baking shows. While deciding which one to begin, I commit to the first one and pressed "ok" on The Great British Baking Show, because, well, every now and then, I love me some British accents. 

Oh boy, am I glad I selected this one! It quickly became an addiction. The contestants each season grew on me. They grew on me so much that I actually began to feel some sort of friendship through my television screen with them. You know, giggling at their silly jokes and coyishly grinning at their quirks.

It pained me to see, one by one, my friends the contestants dwindle. Goodbye fellow bakers and thank you for creating such memorable moments. Until we (never) meet again...

Anyway -  I'm rambling and blissfully reminiscing on my fake friends.

What I really wanted to get at is: watching this show ignited my inner baker, which lets be honest, didn't exist. My sister is an incredible baker with crowd "oooh-ing" tastes, elegant creations and inventive designs. Me, I got the "cook a sauce better than your grandma skills." Cooking is more my speed. 

Recently, I've been making more cakes than you can shake a stick at because I feel as if I am trying out for my own British Baking Show right here in the comfort of my own home. I have had some home runs let me tell you!

Try this vegan cake recipe, I bet you'll never be able to tell the difference between my plant powered decadent dessert and an animal secreted sweet <—gross, but true.

*Recipe from the cookbook: Chloe's Vegan Desserts

Coffee Almond Crunch Cake
Coffee Almond Crush Cake

INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar (bone-char free or organic)
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups canned coconut milk (mixed well)
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 4 Tbs. white vinegar
  • 2 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
  • 4 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 1 cup chopped toasted almonds

INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING
  • 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
  • 3 cups powdered sugar (bone-char free or organic)
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbs. instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/4 cup water

INGREDIENTS FOR GANACHE
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (dairy free)
  • 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (mixed well)
  • 2 Tbs. canola oil

Get your apron on, because we're making a cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 inch circular cake tins. Line the bottom of each tin with parchment paper. 

In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together, set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk coconut milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and espresso powder together. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over-mix. 

Divide the batter evenly between the two cake tins. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out dry with a few crumbs clinging to it. 

Remove the cakes from the cake tins and cool on a wire rack. 

Let's get to frosting: Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the shortening until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat to incorporate. Add 1 Tbs. of espresso liquid at a time as needed until the frosting reaches desired consistency and flavor. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy. 

OMG = Oh My Ganache: Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk in a double boiler. You can use the microwave but just be careful to not over-cook it. Whisk in oil until smooth. 

Help me build this masterpiece! Once the cakes have cooled completely, slice off the crusty tops  so that the surface of the cake is even and flat. Begin with one cake and slather 1/3 to 1/2 of the frosting mixture on the top only. 

Place the other cake directly on top of the cake top you just frosted so that now, you have a two-tiered cake. Top this cake with the ganache. 

Pipe frosting rosettes around the outside top of the cake and pipe frosting around the center of the two cakes to "hide" the ugly ends where the cakes meet. 

Top the cake with the toasted almonds and voila!!! You have yourself a brilliant, head-turning, mouth watering creation. 

Comment and thank me below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment